Brookfield Museum and
Learning and Research Center
165 Whisconier Rd, PO Box 5231,
Brookfield, CT 06804
Tel (203) 740-8140
Obtuse School is located
on Obtuse Road, South. In 1761 this school was one of the four
districts in the Parish of Newbury. It is thought that at this
time, the students were meeting in private homes.
In 1869, the Obtuse
District applied for a new building. It was voted to locate the
new school 40 square rods near and south of where the old school
stood. When the Consolidated School was built, this school was
sold and became a private home.
There were two schools
in the Ironworks District. The first was the East Ironworks
School and was located on the triangle at Lionís Park corner of
Whisconier Road and Farview Road. Joseph Ruggles donated land
for this school in 1745. In 1846 a vote was taken to divide the
Ironworks district into two schools. The dividing line was the
Still River. The school on the west side of the river would be
called the West Ironworks and was built on Station Road.
In 1906, the East
Ironworks School was taken down and these students joined with
the students of the West Ironworks School. When the residents
of Brookfield began the quest to close the one-room schools, it
was voted down time after time. In 1936 the roof caved in on
Ironworks School. No one was in the building at the time. When
this happened, the town voted to build the Consolidated School.
This is now called Center School. This Ironworks School building
is just behind the Mobil Gas Station and is now a private home.