Brookfield Museum and Historical Society
   An Extended Learning and Research Center
165 Whisconier Rd, PO Box 5231, Brookfield, CT 06804
Tel (203) 740-8140


St. Paul’s School for Boys - 1858

 

St. Paul’s School for Boys

Reverend Henry D. Noble was the rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church when the school was started in the basement of the church.  In 1858, a schoolhouse  (pictured here) was built on Longmeadow Hill Road.  The school consisted of the schoolhouse or academy and Rev. Noble’s residence.  His residence is the house just north of the schoolhouse.    Rev. Noble was the headmaster of the school until his death in 1868.  His wife ran the school for a short time following his death.

St. Paul’s brochure described Brookfield as being “ quiet, retired, elevated, remarkably healthful and free from those temptations which are necessarily incident to populace places.”  In 1867 it cost $300.00/year  (or $100 a session).  This included board, tuition, washing, fuel, and lights.  There were no extra charges except for music and $1/session pew rent at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.  Each child was required to provide: towels, napkins and napkin rings, a silver fork, hair, tooth and shoe brushes, rubbers and an umbrella.

Students were taught English, the Classics, French and courses “fitting boys for college or for business life.”  There was also a skating pond on the property for recreational use. Both of these buildings are now private homes.

Return To Timeline