Brookfield Museum and
Yellow Switch Light
This Kerosene Switch Light dates back to the days when all the switching was done manually by the “Yard Hands”. Each night they had to do the switching, cleaning, filling kerosene, and lighting the lamps. This lamp was brought to Brookfield from the Nickel Plate Rail Yards in Bellevue, Ohio. The rail yards were, and still are, a major rail switching yard servicing the mid-west for coal, freight, and passengers. These switching lights were replaced by very bright modern lighting in the 1940’s, and are now completely computer controlled.
The yellow display warned
the train engineer to proceed with caution .